Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Appreciation requires Realization

So ‘Flower’ just woke up from her nap and I started to cuddle and play with her. It’s our usual routine. She plays quietly then falls asleep while I cuddle next to her. Then when she wakes up, I play quietly with her for a bit. Oh you know, the usual – ‘munching’ on her toes, tickling her, being silly, and lots of kisses!

I love my baby girl and I’m thankful for her, but true appreciation for a thing or person doesn’t happen until realization (or reality, same derivative) takes place. I always love my baby girl, but I can honestly say I don’t always fully appreciate her because life just becomes a routine sometimes. I have a kid which means I change the baby, feed the baby, play with the baby, and put the baby to sleep. That’s pretty much the routine for most mothers of small children! But what makes me appreciate my baby as opposed to just taking care of a baby? This simple reality:

‘Flower’ is MY baby girl! She’s not just a baby, she’s my baby! My husband and I produced her out of love. She’s part of me and she’s part of him. I’m not just taking care of a child, I’m taking care of my daughter. I’m going to watch her grow up and I’m going to be there for the bumps and bruises, the first ‘I love you’, her first steps, her whole learning process, and dare I even begin to think about her growing up, wow! Yup, that’s where the appreciation really comes in! I am realizing that I’m a mother to an amazing, fascinating child that is flesh of my flesh. This is what makes motherhood special, to know that I’m providing the nurture and nourishment for the very life that my husband and I made together. She looks like me, she looks like ‘Prince’. It’s a miracle in a sense! And with all the frustrations and quirks that I go through with her, it’s just a part of who she is – wonderfully and handmade by God!

Abba, thank You for the miracle of giving life! Children are indeed a gift and blessing! Help me to always appreciate and selflessly love my little girl. I ask for the stregnth and patience motherhood requires! Im truly thankful for my sweet baby girl! Amein!

No comments:

Post a Comment