Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shirking - Time to Step-Up to the Plate!

Shirking...what a strange word if you say it over and over again! So what's it mean? Without going into the dictionary definition or formal etymology, it basically just means to put off, procrastinate, throw off usually in the context of duty.

Why do we do this? It seems to be a normal human flaw to put off that which we can (and should) do today. I was thinking about this while munching on some lunch. This phrase came to mind: "Time to step up to the plate". It has to do with maturity and taking on responsibility. How many times as children and young adults did we desire to cast off the things of childhood and be a grown up with all the freedoms? But what about all the growing up that growing up requires! Whatever our current position or job title however large or small, we are called to do it with excellence. I know there's a verse somewhere in the Bible that says "Whatsoever your hand findeth to do, do so with all your might". This is one I could keep reminding myself of over and over again.

As a stay at home mom, it is a multifaceted role! It means for the most part, I am:

-Chef/cook
-Nurse
-Counselor
-Maid
-Organizer
-Guardian
-and much, much more!

But as a stay at home mom, it's so tempting to let the time fly and do my own thing. It's just too easy to leave the dishes in the sink, the laundry in various piles, and just order Chinese for dinner. Even right now, I'm still in my jammies!

But my calling right now is to be a wife and mother. There is much fulfillment not because it's my only purpose, but because it IS a major part of my calling so I want to do my best at it.

I couldn't wait for the day that I would one day meet my true love and have children. Now that day is here and has been here for quite a while now. And with the beautiful fulfillment of my hopes and dreams comes responsibility. 'To whom much is given, much is required'. It's so true, but it needn't ever be a drudgery but rather a joy! It does take motivation and not just a one-time deal.

Father, I am again reminded that in Your faithfulness, You have blessed me with the desires of my heart. Now I ask that you help me to be faithful with the blessings I have been given. Give me strength and joy for whatever task is at hand and help me to do it well and with excellence. Amein.

1 comment:

  1. Love this Juli. SO GREAT and so true. I do the same and often need to remind myself of how blessed I am. I need to do my part and work hard in an attitude of worship to the Lord! :D

    ReplyDelete